Project title: Digitally Competent Youth (acronym: DIGI.COM/YOUTH)
Key action 2: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices
Field: Strategic Partnerships for youth
Project lifetime: 01.02.2015 – 31.01.2017
Coordinator: Volkshochschule im Landkreis Cham e.V. (Niemcy)
• FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION (Spain)
• Tecnalia Research&Innovation – TKNIKA (Spain)
• Language Education And Partnerships LTD (United Kingdom)
• ULO- University of Lodz (Poland)
Context and project objectives:
According to the results of research commissioned by the institutions of the European Union, approximately 90% of jobs in Europe will require digital skills in the nearest future.
Three worrying trends can be observed:
1. lack of ICT skills of young people in general
2. the fact that socio-economic status affect the frequency of ICT use, the skills and the uses to which ICTs are put
3. a number of complex factors shape the digital exclusion of those with lower socio-economic status.
Therefore it is important to offer such courses and lessons to educational and training institutions that will entail required digital competencies.
DIGI.COM/YOUTH Project, is the answer to the aforementioned challenges. This initiative is aimed at providing support in the field of educational services as well as assessing digital competencies by supporting individualized teaching and strategic use of ICT, in particular in relation to youth at risk of exclusion. In that sense, the Project contributes to the assumptions of Europe 2020 Strategy – the document defining main challenges and directions of socio-economic development of the European Union in the coming years.
DIGI.COM/YOUTH Project focuses on non-formal education, is addressed to young people who educate outside the structures of secondary, vocational and higher schools, e.g. young people who educate the culture centres, social organisations, vocational courses, etc.
Project is addressed particularly to persons either socially and professionally excluded or those being at risk of social and professional exclusion.
Main expected project results:
1. Elaboration of the so-called digital challenges – five areas related to the use of ICT, covering: information, communication, content creation, safety and problem solving.
2. Elaboration of the e-learning moodle platform for project participants: young people and youth workers. They will have to perform certain tasks related to the aforementioned five digital challenges. Some of the tasks will require team work and cooperation in the process of problem solving, while other ones will be based on individual contributions.
Digital challenges will be presented in the form of attractive educational game. Project participants – players will be immersed in five the so-called digital islands corresponding to the respective digital challenges. They will have to solve all the challenges to escape from the islands. The game will move participants to different islands while they are overcoming the challenges, until finally they complete all the required challenges.
3. Elaboration of the Guidebook for youth workers and ICT trainers
Guidebook will contain instructions on how to use an e-learning platform, possibilities of use of digital challenges as well as types of teaching methodologies that are most appropriate for different target groups.